Of Course You Can Elementary Middle Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior

Take the pledge!


Grade 11

  • Update your Recommended Courses for College planner to include completed 10th grade classes and upcoming 11th grade classes.
  • Your coursework should include advanced math, physics, social studies, and English.
  • Maintain “As” and “Bs” - your Nevada Millennium Scholarship depends on it. It is your financial passport to Nevada's colleges and universities.
  • Nevada’s colleges and universities offer courses for dual credit. That means when you take a recognized college course you receive both high school and college credit. Talk to your counselor to see if your high school has a dual credit agreement with your local university or community college.
  • Consider taking AP (Advanced Placement) classes. AP courses are college-level courses and they help you prepare you for college-level work while still in high school. Students who take AP courses are often more prepared for the academic challenges presented in college. Check with your counselor to see if your high school offers AP courses and exams and how you might earn college credit.
  • Check if your school offers the Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT). This practice test helps prepare you for the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT). A student who does well on this test, and who meets many other academic performance criteria, may qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Program. Talk to your guidance counselor, or call the National Merit Scholarship Program office directly at (847) 866-5100.
    • If your college or school of choice does not require SAT or ACT, for more information visit www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/accuplacer/
  • Now is the time to create a list of potential colleges that you would like to attend. Send letters or emails to the colleges on your list requesting information, and evaluate the materials with your parents. 
  • Attend college fairs and sessions with college representatives at your school to get more information. All Nevada colleges and universities have programs for visiting high school students. Make an appointment to attend a campus tour.
  • Schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor to learn more about the college’s financial aid opportunities. Be sure to bring your parents – their participation is important and everyone will gain very valuable information.
  • Take your college entrance exams (ACT or SAT) in the spring or summer. You will get the results back in time to see if you need to retake the test in the fall of your senior year. Registration for exams is at least one month in advance, or sooner. Add test scores to your student planner when received. Prepare for the ACT or SAT by reviewing books with testing tips and sample questions. These can be found in bookstores, libraries, and schools, or accessed on the Internet. Attend a workshop on how to prepare for the exam. Financial aid may be available for some workshops and test fees. Find more information about these tests by visiting their websites at www.act.org (ACT) and www.collegeboard.com (SAT).
  • If you don't already have one, apply for a Social Security Number since it is required on many college and financial aid applications.
  • Complete the "FAFSA4caster" at www.fafsa.gov with your parent, to learn about the financial aid process and get an early estimate of your eligibility for federal student aid.
  • Continue your research on federal, state, and private scholarships by finding out what awards students in your school and community are receiving.
  • Parents, make sure your teen takes any required college admissions tests and submits all admissions, financial aid, and any campus housing paperwork on time. It is crucial that you are aware of the submission deadlines. They vary among schools and are subject to change.
  • If you are a student athlete make sure you visit the NCAA Clearinghouse for more information https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/student/index_student.html

Funded by the Department of Education and brought to you by Nevada P-16 Advisory Council and Nevada System of Higher Education

Tell A Friend Go Further Do More Earn More Of Course You Can Home